Pages

11/05/2011

From Farm to Fame- Chapter 20


I felt like an idiot, and I dreaded what would happen when Gaige got home. He'd likely agree I was an idiot, and wonder even more about my sanity than he already did. I knew that although he didn't say it, he thought that the stress was making me insane. Setting fire to half the kitchen, because I was distracted by the figure looking in the window was not going to help my case at all....especially since nobody believed they were ever there. Nobody ever saw them but me, but I was positive I wasn't imagining things...no matter what everybody thought.

I saw the look on his face when he walked in, it only made me feel more like an idiot...not at all comforting or reassuring. "I know I'm an idiot, and I'm careless, and I've gone insane. Please don't say it."

"I wasn't going to."

"But you're thinking it aren't you?"

"I'm thinking I'm getting worried about you. You never burn anything at all, so I'm wondering why half the kitchen is burnt."

"Because I'm stupid and careless."

"Would you stop saying that, and just tell me what actually happened."

"They were at the window again... I went to check outside for them and search around the house... by the time I came back in the fire had started."

"I see." He looked even more worried, and I knew he was worried about my sanity.

"See you're thinking it now, I can tell by the look on your face."

"I'm still just thinking about how worried I'm getting about you. I wish I knew how to help you."

"I wish I knew how to make you believe me, and you wouldn't have to worry so much."

"I think I will worry more if you can ever prove it."

"But you won't think I'm insane."

"I think we should go out for dinner."

I decided to ignore the change of subject from my sanity, and the fact that he hadn't offered reassurance. "I thought we could just order pizza or something. I don't want to go out to dinner with the babies, and it's awfully short notice for a babysitter."

"You just don't want to leave the house. You haven't left the house since you saw that figure at the grocery store. You need to get out and have some fun...and since we can't make anything here, it's a good opportunity to get out. I'll be with you, you'll be fine. You know it's never a problem getting a babysitter here, everybody loves looks after them."

"What if Carlos comes here while we are out? I don't want to be away from them... I'm scared of what he could do to defenseless babies... I don't feel safe unless they are with one of us. Even then it still scares me."

"He won't. The police just drive back and forth down the street, they will be here if he even attempts anything. We won't be far away either, and the babysitter can call us if anything happens, we'll come rushing right back.... it won't take long at all. Please?"

"Fine, but if anything bad happens..."

"you'll never forgive me. I know."

I couldn't enjoy dinner at all, it wasn't enough to distract me from everything. I was still worried about the babies, and about the hooded figure I kept seeing. The figure that was standing right across the street.

"Gaige! Look! They're right there, behind you!" I pointed at the spot where they had been standing.

"Rachelle....there's no one there."

I was frustrated "There was, they're gone now. They were there though."

"They can't have gone anywhere that fast... there's nowhere for them to go."

I thought about it and realized he was right. They'd been standing in an open field, there was no way they could have gone out of sight so fast...it only took a couple seconds for Gaige to look over. "Oh my god, I am seeing things. I have gone insane."

"You haven't gone insane. You are stressed, and understandably so. It'll be ok, you'll get through it....we'll get through it. You know I'll do anything I can to help you."