Pages

6/05/2014

From Farm to Fame: Lexie- Chapter 9

I had passed all my exams from the first semester with flying colours so I didn’t have to retake anything, and could enjoy a much easier second semester where I could slack off a lot more. I was graduating with honours and a scholarship to university. I imagined as I received my diploma and hurled in the air that mom and dad were smiling down on me and beaming with pride. I smiled back at them as my diploma soared higher; it almost seemed that it was going high enough for them to reach it.

The ceremonies were short; it didn’t take long to go through all the graduates of Hidden Springs High School as it was such a small class. I was grateful the ceremonies were short; they were honestly somewhat boring and it was hot standing under the sun wearing heavy dark grad robes; they’d warned us to dress cool under the robes but I didn’t think we could dress cool enough. I was looking forward to just getting out of those awful robes and freshening up at home.  Levi, Jayson, Katrina, and I were all going to hang out a redwood peak later, after they had lunch with their families.

There was a small banquet being hosted by the school but I’d opted out of going. I was only going to go because grandma and grandpa were supposed to go with me but they’d ended up being unable to come because grandpa was too sick to travel, and even then I was really only going because grandma insisted that I’d regret it if I didn’t go. I still hadn’t been convinced that I would regret not going but I knew I’d regret going more without them there; I’d be forced to sit there and watch everybody else with their families while missing my own. I could have taken Zoe; we were getting along better, but I still wasn’t fond of having her at the banquet with me; we didn’t get along that well. Levi had been a sweetheart opting out of going himself to keep me company; I insisted it wasn’t necessary and that I didn’t want to spoil his fun, but he’d insisted it would be no fun without me anyway. It was a nice reminder of why I loved him so much, not that I really needed it. Jayson had opted out of going anyway, and Katrina wasn’t even graduating for another year so we just all decided to spend the evening hanging out; it would be the last time we did so at least for a while. Levi and I would be away for the summer and then we’d be going to university together, Jayson was going to a different university, and Katrina was just stuck behind us all.

I was glad I’d opted out of the banquet. I had a great time hanging out with the people who really mattered to me. We just talked; mostly about plans for the summer, and life after high school, but just whatever else we felt like. We joked around and goofed off, told ghost stories, and roasted marshmallows around the fire until late at night. It wasn’t a typical grad celebration, and not much different from most of the days that we all hung out, but I loved every minute of it.

I didn’t even realize how late it was, it was almost midnight, until Jayson got up to leave. “I should go. I have to be up early, but I had fun.”

He was walking away before I could even respond. “Hey wait.”

He stopped. “What?”

“You can’t leave without a hug. I don’t know when I’ll see you again” He waited while I got up and went over to hug him, as had become usual I could tell he felt awkward about hugging me back. “Have a good summer. And stay in touch, okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Enjoy your trip.”

I realized I should probably go too. Levi and I were leaving in the morning and I hadn’t even packed yet. “I guess I should go too, but thanks, I had fun.”

“We’ll walk you home.” Levi answered, I never expected him to do so, but I knew he always would; I did love that cared so much.

Katrina waited at the end of the walkway while Levi walked me right up to the door to say goodbye, he never left until I was inside.

"Thanks. See you in the morning. Love you."

“Love you too babe.”

He kissed me goodnight like always, and like always I missed him as soon as I was inside; I was really glad I'd see him again in only a few hours, and that we'd have the whole summer to just be together.

I didn’t spent much time packing, I decided much of what I had wasn’t worth taking anyway and I'd just buy new stuff there; besides I just really hated packing. Zoe knocked on my bedroom door before I was done.

“Hey, what’s up?” I answered.

“I just wanted to say goodbye, and that I hope you have a great trip. And call me when you get there, ‘cause I’ll worry. And we both know I won’t be up in the morning to tell you this.”

I was surprised when she hugged me. “Uh… thanks. I’ll call as soon as I can.”

“Good. I’ll let you finish packing now.”